TCU / IAM Lodge 146

Members Site

About Lodge 146

About TCU / IAM Lodge 146

About TCU / IAM Lodge 146

 January 2012

Effective January 1, 2012 TCU/IAM FULL MERGER  is complete!

TCU/IAM members are now “Fighting Machinists”.


December 2011

Name Change:

Norfolk Southern Railway

Operations Service Support (OSS)


September 2010

TCU Lodge 146 represents all agreement clerical employees in the Norfolk Southern Railway Centralized Yard Operation (CYO) office in Midtown  Atlanta, Ga. as well as several employees at Norfolk Southern Brosnan Yard site in Macon, Ga.


TCU’s Lodge 146 is a local lodge that comprises approximately 450 members who are all proud members of the Transportation Communications International Union (TCU) which represents approximately 46,000 members.


July 2005

In July 2005 TCU affiliated with the International Association of Machinists (IAM) representing 730,000 members, with the full merger to occur no later than January 2012.

Our dedicated Brothers and Sisters are on duty 24/7/365 to help ensure that America’s freight moves safely, economically and efficiently on trains that travel Norfolk Southern vast rail network, and beyond.




The Transportation Communications Union: A Union of Unions,
Dedicated to Progress and Prosperity for All Members


The union we call TCU today took root back in 1899 when on a cold winter’s evening

shortly after Christmas, 33 railroad clerks gathered in the back room of Behrens’ cigar

shop in Sedalia, Missouri. That night, December 29, they formed Local Lodge Number

1, of a union they named the Order of the Railroad Clerks of America. Since then, men

and women from many different crafts have brought their dedication and strength to

our union. Our range is extensive and complex, on and off the railroads throughout the

transportation industry. But the union still runs on those same simple principles of

democracy and full membership participation that it always has.

      Ninety years ago the union’s name was the Brotherhood of Railway Clerks. Then in

1919, we became the Brotherhood of Railway and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers,

Express and Station Employes. The name was expanded more when, in 1967,

Convention delegates added the word “Airline”–making us the Brotherhood of

Railway, Airline, Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express and Station Employes,

otherwise known as BRAC. But in the years since then, our union has welcomed into its

ranks the members of half a dozen labor organizations–among them the

Transportation-Communication Employees Union (once known as the Order of

Railroad Telegraphers), the United Transport Service Employees Union, the Railway

Patrolmen’s International Union, the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters, the American

Railway and Airway Supervisors Association, the Western Railway Supervisors

Association, and the Brotherhood Railway Carmen.

      Naturally, as these other groups merged, strengthening the union and building it in

its diversity, the question of adding their names kept coming up. Many thought that

rather than making the name even more unwieldy, we ought to find a way to simplify,

to express our unity.

      Delegates to the 1987 Convention found the solution. Today the “Transportation

Communications International Union”–known as TCU– includes us all.

      Here are brief profiles of some of those labor organizations which are now part of

our union:


The Brotherhood Railway Carmen of America was founded on September 9, 1890, in

convention at Topeka, Kansas.At that time, repairers made 10 or 15 cents an hour. There

was no compensation for injury, and there were no pensions and no laws protecting

worker rights. The work week was usually seven days, 12 hours a day. There was no

overtime. In that year, founder William Ronemus wrote, “Every day we see where

monopolies have formed trusts, corporations and have consolidated–then why (should)

not the laboring men unite to aid and protect each other?”

      In June 1934 railworkers won a victory when President Roosevelt signed legislation

strengthening the Railway Labor Act. The amendments established National

Adjustment Boards with awards enforceable in court; company unions were outlawed;

and a new National Mediation Board was created.

      Since then, hard-won victories have continued and, in 1986, the Carmen voted to

merge with TCU. Members in this craft today are part of TCU’s Carmen Division, which

operates under its own By-Laws. The Division President serves on the Executive

Council as a Vice President of the full Union. In addition, one of the Division’s top

officers is selected at their Convention to serve as a Member of the Union’s Board of



The American Railway and Airway Supervisors Association (ARASA) – On

November 14, 1934, 29 supervisors at the Chicago & North Western Railway met at

Harmony Hall in Chicago. There they founded what would become the American

Railway Supervisors Association (later adding the word “Airway”).

      One of the founders, John Nuter, recalled that in 1934, the supervisors “worked not

less than 10-12 hours a day. We were assigned two rest days a month and most of the

time we worked the rest days with no additional compensation.” Ironically, those

railroaders working under their supervision already had the benefits of unionization

and were paid more for fewer hours.

      The Supervisors’ first contract was signed in 1936, and from that beginning ARASA

went on to organize supervisors at railroads around the country. In 1980 the

Supervisors Union merged with TCU and a separate Supervisors’ Division, often called

ARASA, operating under its own by-laws, was established.


Western Railway Supervisors Association –Yardmasters on the Southern Pacific

organized in 1938, joining the Railroad Yardmasters of America in 1941. A dozen years

later yardmasters on the SP Pacific Lines joined another Union, the Railroad

Yardmasters of North America. In 1967 SP yardmasters withdrew from the RYNA and

formed their own independent Union, the Western Railway Supervisors Association.

WRSA’s ranks grew in 1974 when yardmasters on the St. Louis SouthWestern voted to

affiliate.WRSA voted to merge with TCU in 1983. Its members now constitute System

Board 555 and, like other groups within the Union, they also operate under their own



The famed Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters became a part of TCU in 1978.

Founded in 1925, the pioneering Union was led by A. Philip Randolph, who was also

one of America’s great civil rights leaders. In an epic struggle, the Porters fought the

bitterly anti-union Pullman Company for 12 years before the Union was recognized and

a contract signed. When the Porters merged with our Union, they formed the Sleeping

Car Porters System Division. Today, these and other on-board Amtrak workers are

represented by System Division 250.


The Railway Patrolmen’s International Union was an AFL-CIO Union that represented

rail police officers on a number of railroads. Realizing the gains to be achieved through

merger with a large organization, RPIU became a part of our Allied Services Division in

1969. Today members are found on railroads ranging from the Burlington Northern

Santa Fe to the Delaware and Hudson.


The United Transport Services Employees Union was founded in 1937 as the

International Brotherhood of Red Caps. (The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters

assisted in the formation of this Union.) In 1940 the Union changed its name to the

UTSE and in 1942 it joined the CIO. Three decades later, in 1972, the Red Cap and Sky

Cap members of UTSE merged with our union as part of the Allied Services Division.


The Order of Railroad Telegraphers was founded in June 1886 at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

In 1965 the Union changed its name to the Transportation Communication Employees

Union and, in 1969, the TCEU telegraphers merged with what was then BRAC and

many years later became TCU.


TCU agreed to merge with the International Association of Machinists and

Aerospace Workers in mid-2005. Today we are an affiliate of the Machinists,

retaining autonomy as we move toward full merger no later than January 2012.



This page revised 11/16/2013  by web steward rkw

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TCU / IAM Lodge 146 © 2014